Questions, Discussions & Feedback

Home Forums Questions, Discussions & Feedback Mouse Speed Limited

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by maidengaming maidengaming 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Mouse speed seems to be capped. I can’t whip my camera 180 degrees, and it instead chugs along like I’m playing with a controller. Posting this here because I’m not sure if it’s a bug or by design.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Logan,

Thank you very much for your feedback. You can set your mouse sensitivity in the settings panel.

Hope that helps.

– maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

I come from the CS/Quake scene, the sensitivity option was the first thing I found. What I’m saying is, if I move the mouse in my hand slowly, my camera will actually move faster than if I quickly swipe my mouse across my mousepad. It prevents me from being able to quickly turn around.

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Alright. I messed with pretty much every setting in-game that I could think of that might be causing the issue, reinstalled the game, deleted the game’s AppData, made sure my controller wasn’t plugged in and I’m still having the same issue.

I also tried changing my DPI on the fly. While moving my mouse slowly, DPI affected sensitivity. While moving my mouse quickly, DPI had no effect on sensitivity, and camera speed remained capped at seemingly a specific value.

I went back to watch some of the VOD of your Twitch stream and I never really saw you snap your camera very quickly, so I can’t say that it is for sure only on my end.

I dunno. If you would like me to clarify on anything, let me know. I could always bust out the handcam to give a demonstration if necessary. But, I think I’m done for now.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Logan,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We have logged this issue and will be looking into it for our upcoming builds. Thank you SO MUCH for bringing it to our attention.

– maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

No problem. I’m surprised no one ran into this before me, but I play on a very low sensitivity so maybe that’s why. I’ll be looking forward to this one getting fixed, because it’s pretty difficult to play at the moment.

I wish you good luck in your development.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Tomorrow’s 1.3.4a patch will include the following changes. Please give these a try and see if they resolve the issue.

Increased the Mouse Sensitivity range to 150% of its original value.
    Added two new Mouse settings called Mouse X Dampening and Mouse Y Dampening to further calibrate and fine to your mouse.

Thanks! – maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Alright, I tried out the update. Unfortunately it didn’t solve the issue. Setting dampening to a value of 0 doesn’t allow me to move my camera at all, setting it to a value of 100 seems to increase sensitivity, but still have the dampening effect. Ideally I would like to be able to remove dampening completely and just have raw mouse input.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Raw mouse input is what you were receiving before hand. You wouldn’t set either of those dampening settings to 0 or 100. You would fine the sweet spot to your liking. Unfortunately outside of what we have exposed (an increase in range and more control over the X and Y mouse data) there isn’t much else we can do beyond that.

– maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Mouse input isn’t raw if it’s being altered by dampening. If I think back to other games such as Half-Life, usually the problem is mouse acceleration, and usually there’s an option to disable it. If there isn’t, people would find a way to disable it in the game files, or by using a third-party program. In more modern shooters, it’s pretty mainstream to have a check option that forces raw mouse input.

I messed with these settings some more, and it seems the values that you have associated with dampening aren’t actually having a dampening effect. It’s just a modifier of the base sensitivity (sensitivity multiplied by the value that you have labeled as dampening). I believe the actual mouse dampening is still hidden from settings.

Even if you say you cannot fix this issue, I foresee this problem coming back up when the game opens to more people. And just a fair warning, this can be make or break for some people, myself included.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Thanks for the heads up. We are going to give this another shot to see if we can resolve the issue you’ve pointed out.

Thanks! – maidengaming

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Testing now and I’m pretty sure we have this issue fixed. Build with this update will be posted under the debug-test steam branch tonight. Will need some feedback from you on the proper names for these settings. Today it is a checkbox called ‘Realistic Mouse Movement’. Give it a try and give us feedback once it is posted.

Thanks! – maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Sounds good, I’ll keep an eye out for the patch.

maidengaming
    maidengaming
    Keymaster

Have to humble myself and state that I didn’t understand what you were pointing out and super happy that we donn’t push back on community feedback because this change makes the game feel 100% better. I didn’t even realize this was a thing. It took a meeting for us to review your feedback and truly understand what you were pointing out.

So for that I say thanks for helping us to learn something new and providing your feedback to improve the game. We most likely will be enabling this setting by default. Not sure I can go back to the way it was before lol.

Thanks! – maidengaming

LOGAN-D
    Spectator

Yep, you guys got it. Feels great. I honestly don’t think anyone would miss mouse dampening if you just removed it completely. The only time I can think of it being useful would be aiming down sights in a console shooter (e.g. Call of Duty).

As the settings stand now, I would change the current label “Realistic Mouse Movement” to “Disable Mouse Dampening” should you choose to leave the option in the game. I would also remove the settings currently labeled “Mouse (X/Y) Dampening” UNLESS you wish to make it so these modifiers only activate while aiming with your character’s gun. This can be useful for people who use a high base sensitivity, but wish to slow their sensitivity down while aiming to get more accurate shots.

Also, can’t blame you for not understanding what I meant, not easy to explain or understand without video (I should’ve made one in the first place). I’m sure I will have more feedback now that I can get into the game a bit more. I’m glad you decided to persist, though.

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.